lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Language neutral index format representation (was Re: Confused by writePostings/SegmentTermDocs.next())
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2003 18:45:14 GMT
On Tuesday, December 2, 2003, at 11:02  AM, Simon Cozens wrote:
> Hi all,
>     At my company, we're working on a Perl version of Lucene, which we
> plan to
> release under the same terms as Lucene. (When we have it working,
> tested and
> documented.)

Very nice!  At FOO you mentioned you were going to probably write a
Perl version - glad you're getting the time to do it now.  I've been
dragging my feet on RubyLucene (@ RubyForge.org) - I've gotten some
low-level file I/O Directory implementations working, but nothing above
that yet.

Speaking of language implementations of Lucene's index format and
associated searching/indexing API, I think it would be cool if we
represent the directory and file formats in a computer-readable
(probably XML) format which could be used by to code generate the
low-level language-specific code for the various implementations.
Conceivably such a representation could be used at runtime, but for
performance reasons it would seem a more sensical approach would be for
code generating I/O code.

This representation would also be handy to deal with changes to the
file format, making it more formalized and easily diff'd or used by
tools or implementations to have graceful backwards compatibility and
such.

What do folks think of this idea?  Any drawbacks?  Could the Java I/O
code be code generated without affecting the design at that level if
such a representation existed?

	Erik