lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Scott ganyo <sc...@ganyo.com>
Subject Re: suggestion for a CustomDirectory
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2003 15:29:05 GMT
I'm no expert in NIO, but I've heard a lot of people claim that NIO
improvements over traditional I/O can be significant.  I don't know if
it would work for your case (does it have to map the entire file into
memory?), but you might try the NIODirectory implementation that
Francesco Bellomi sent to the list on July 6.  Chances are that it
would take a little updating at this point, but I doubt it would be
much work.

Scott

On Dec 4, 2003, at 10:22 AM, Julien Nioche wrote:

> It is (relatively ) slow because I send very large boolean queries.
> This may
> differ from the general use of Lucene where people search for a few
> terms
> and want to access only the n first documents.
> Profiling my apps shows that Term access and creation consumes a lot of
> time. There was a discussion about this issue when Dmitry proposed a
> patch
> to limit creation of temporary Term objects. In my case this is even
> more
> obvious because of the size of the queries.

progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw