lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Leos Literak <leos.lite...@systinet.com>
Subject Re: Real update feature
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2003 11:37:04 GMT
Hi,

I understand this point of view, though I would love to see one method
update(index,document).
Implementation details (like it does delete+add in fact) is not my
business. I wouldn't need to worry
of synchronization and locks on IndexReader/IndexWriter and other low
level details.  If you once
find better implementation - great, my source is ready. I dont need to
lookup delete followed by add.

    Leo

>It would be possible to add a feature which would let you efficiently
update un-indexed field values. But, to update
>an indexed field, because of the index file formats and algorithms, it
would be very inefficient to do something other than delete+add.