lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-lucene CHANGES.txt
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2003 22:23:06 GMT
ehatcher@apache.org wrote:
> ehatcher    2003/11/27 18:03:14
>
>   Modified:    src/java/org/apache/lucene/analysis StopFilter.java
>                .        CHANGES.txt
>   Added:       src/test/org/apache/lucene/analysis TestStopAnalyzer.java
>   Log:
>   Use position increments to account for removed stop words

I finally remembered the problem with this.  Consider the phrase query
"Lord of the Rings".  What does QueryParser do with this if "of" and
"the" are stop words?  I think it turns it into "Lord Rings".  But with
this patch, that phrase query will no longer match text containing the
text "Lord of the Rings".  Or have I missed something?

So either this patch should be pulled, or we need to add
position-increment-like support to PhraseQuery.  I plan to do the latter
in the next few months (for a contract I'm working on) so perhaps we
should just pull this patch until PhraseQuery is updated, at which time
we can consider updating QueryParser to take advantage of this feature.

Thoughts?

Doug