lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Serebrennikov <dmit...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: lucene 1.3 RC3 compiled with gcj
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 07:51:40 GMT
Andi Vajda wrote:

>I got the latest lucene to compile and run its demo on Linux (redhat 9) and
>Mac OS X Panther 10.3.1 using gcc 3.3.2's gcj, compiling to native
>executables.
>
>The demo seems to run. I didn't run the unittests since I didn't attempt to
>compile junit with gcj yet.
>
>Performance seems way faster than the java VM version but somewhat slower than
>clucene's C++ port of lucene, indexing a small set of files. I say somewhat as
>my set is not that large and my measurements not very thorough, but here are
>some numbers for indexing 116k of text in 14 files, as measured on a Powerbook
>1Ghz/1GB running Mac OS X Panther 10.3.1:
>
>  lucene 1.3 RC3 with java 1.4.1: 1169 ms
>  lucene 1.3 RC3 with gcj       :  467 ms
>  clucene 0.8.9                 :  365 ms

This is very interesting! I didn't even know about the clucene project,
but now I'll definetely have to take a look! I was beginning to think
about doing this myself, but if the code already exists - so much the
better. gcj sounds great too.
Are these times for pure indexing, or is this a time for the program to
run. If so, the extra 1 second could just be due to the VM startup
time... The numbers would be much less impressive if that was the case.
Also, if you have numbers for a larger dataset, please post them here. I
am very interested in these results, and I think many others might be also.

Thanks.
Dmitry.