lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject VOTE: BooleanQuery$TooManyClauses
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 18:02:10 GMT
Wow!  What a tempest in a teapot this one has become!

Here are the options as I see them.

1. Change TooManyClauses to directly extend Exception.

This is unacceptable.  We cannot force all developers to change their
code for a point release.

2. Disable the feature by default.

This would be a shame.  This feature saves folks who were getting
mysterious (unchecked) out-of-memory errors, instead giving them an
explicable (if still unchecked) error, a bit sooner, one they can catch
and deal with.  Practically, it only affects applications which permit
rampant use of wildcards, a questionable practice anyway.

3. Change TooManyClauses to extend IOException.

IOException is already thrown by all of the search methods in question,
so that applications must already deal with this.  This is not ideal, as
the condition doesn't actually involve i/o, but IOException is already
effectively used as LuceneException.  (In a 2.0 release we should, as
Erik suggests, rationalize Lucene's exceptions.)

Thus I propose to implement (3).  Votes?

Doug