lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Bob Muller" <bmul...@dag.com>
Subject Problem with Lucene indexing under Tomcat 4.0 running as a service on Windows
Date Fri, 19 Dec 2003 00:29:05 GMT
We're using Lucene as a search tool for meta data across systems. We
generate indexes using the standard FSDirectory approach and optimize
frequently because of large numbers of files being created.

On Windows, some customers noticed that indexing was not completing. After
debugging, we realized that the failure happened only under Tomcat 4.0.6
running as a service. If you start Tomcat from the command line/Start option
and run it with a console, Lucene runs fine.

What happens is we start getting null pointer exceptions from
IndexWriter.addDocument and IndexWriter.optimize. Eventually, all calls
start failing. In 1.2, the failures are "read past end of file", in 1.3 the
failures are "cannot find file". I can reproduce the exact messages if you
like, but I don't think this is a Lucene issue.

So, the question: has anyone encountered these problems with indexing under
Tomcat 4.0 running as a service? Any resolution by changing some kind of
configuration setting for the service install or configuration files?

  --Bob Muller, Data Advantage Group (bmuller@dag.com)