lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Why does BooleanQuery$TooManyClauses extend RuntimeException?
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2003 11:08:33 GMT
On Tuesday, November 25, 2003, at 06:50  PM, Jon Pipitone wrote:
> When I switched over to Lucene 1.3 RC2 I found that a user of my
> application could create an unhandled exception, just by entering in a
> wild card query.  (There was a post today about this [1]).
>
> The exception being thrown when a wildcard query causes a BooleanQuery
> to grow too large, BooleanQuery$TooManyClauses, extends
> RuntimeException.  As such, the method throwing it --
> BooleanQuery.add() -- doesn't need to declare that it throws it, nor
> if it did would there be any compilation errors if the caller does not
> catch it.
>
> My application was using QueryParser as before, and there were no
> compile time errors to indicate that I would need to catch this sort
> of exception.  Of course, it is in the javadoc (but of BooleanQuery
> not QueryParser).
>
> My question is, if throwing BooleanQuery$TooManyClauses is part of the
> API (which it seems like it is implicitly) then shouldn't it be
> enforced at compile time? What about wrapping this sort of exception
> in a ParseException so that it can be handled like all other parse
> exceptions?

I concur and have just modified QueryParser to throw a ParseException
instead when a TooManyClauses exception is thrown.  I checked the
codebase for any other custom Errors/Exceptions and don't see any
others that would be thrown so I think we've got the bases covered in
QueryParser now.  You could still get some other type of
RuntimeException if things went haywire somewhere under the covers, but
this is a more or less expected exception that makes sense to catch as
a ParseException for nicer handling by a UI.

	Erik