lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: File timestamps
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 17:32:47 GMT
I like this approach, but I have two concerns:

1. For back-compatibility, the version number should be written at the
end of the "segments" file, not at its start.  This may make things a
big slower, but we should not incompatibly change the file format:
existing indexes should still open correctly.

2. There should be public IndexReader.getVersion methods, correspodning
to the existing IndexReader.getLastModified methods.  The lastModified
methods should be deprecated, with a comment indicating that the
getVersion methods should be used instead.

Doug