lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: QueryParser Rules article (Erik Hatcher)
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 05:20:13 GMT
On Wednesday, November 12, 2003, at 11:52  PM, Tomcat Programmer wrote:
> I thought Erik's article was great. There was one
> unanswered brainbender I had which I was hoping was in
> there, but... Maybe you can add this topic to the next
> one, Erik?

Well, I'm not sure another article on QueryParser is warranted (yet),
but I'll offer a response here....

> When using the QueryParser class, the parse method
> will throw a TokenMgrError when there is a syntax
> error even as simple as a missing quote at the end of
> a phrase query. According to the javadoc, you should
> never see this class derived from Error being thrown
> (oops?)

You must be using the instance parse method, rather than the static
one.  The static one does this:

     try {
       QueryParser parser = new QueryParser(field, analyzer);
       return parser.parse(query);
     }
     catch (TokenMgrError tme) {
       throw new ParseException(tme.getMessage());
     }

But the instance parse method is declared to throw a TokenMgrError.

Why is that?   I'd be happy to put that same try/catch in the instance
parse method, although I want to double check (CC'ing lucene-dev on
this one).

Any reason not to remove the TokenMgrError exception from the instance
parse method?

> Has anyone discovered a good practice for trapping
> syntax problems and then returning an informative
> message to the user on how to fix their query? I would
> be interested in code samples as well if you have any
> :)

There is the javascript piece in the sandbox that could help
pre-parsing expressions for validity.  Otherwise, simply displaying
acceptable examples of expressions is what I'd do.

	Erik