lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "none none" <kor...@lycos.com>
Subject Re: New highlighter package available
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2003 19:50:48 GMT
you know what my intention is, "highlighting support", as you said *enable*, i think we should
rename this topic to "term collector" support, that is what it is necessary to provide from
the core.
Because you are right about highlighting, everyone has it's own implementation, i have a C
module (dll) called by a JNI class to do highlight (performance reason).
Hope to see approved this topic then :) , if so i can write down what it is necessary to do
so, and i can provide a helper class to put in the sandbox.
thank you,
ciao Korfut.
--

--------- Original Message ---------

DATE: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:33:15
From: Scott Ganyo <scott.ganyo@etapestry.com>
To: Lucene Developers List <lucene-dev@jakarta.apache.org>

>Actually, I think anyone's informed opinion counts...
>
>Anyway, it's not that I don't like it.  I think it is a good thing to
>support highlighting.  I just don't think it should be core
>functionality as I believe that probably every project that uses Lucene
>and wants to do highlighting will end up doing it in different ways.
>
>On the other hand, I agree with you that we should *enable* highlighting
>in the core if necessary.  So, if there are changes that are globally
>applicable to highlighting that would need to be made to the Lucene
>core, we should definitely consider incorporating those changes.
>
>Scott
>
>none none wrote:
>
>>my opinion doesn't count at all! i know that...
>>but personally i have been pushing for more than a year about highlighting support,
i believe we should compromize a bit.
>>my opinion is to keep the implementation outside the lucene core (as many of you don't
like it, why??), BUT make the lucene core to support it :)
>>If you guys want, i can send a document where i explain a few little change to do
that (actually i did already: search mailing for hit collector, is a zip file).
>>It is about make a few methods public and add a few arrays to collect terms and a
boolean variable like the one in queryparser: DEFAULT_HIGHLIGHT with values SUPPORTED, NOT_SUPPORTED,
not as default. This is necessary to enable/disable collection of terms when running a search
(same some cpu/memory).
>>My only reason is to avoid to keep up to date the code everytime there is a major
release or critical updates, because it means to me go through the all code, then run some
test cases to make sure it works properly. And from realease 1.2 to 1.3 was a nice challenge
due to very big changes in the core.
>>Thank you,
>>bye.
>>--

existing institutions. - George Bernard Shaw