lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Please make org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter non-final
Date Sun, 05 Oct 2003 13:15:24 GMT
Mike,

I disagree with your request to change things just for testing
purposes.  There are ways to test most (if not all) of Lucene without
having to affect method/class access levels.  As big as I am into
testing, I'm also big into using the right design for the right job.
In the case of Lucene, 'final' is used liberally as well as other
non-public access levels.

Could you give us an example of what you're trying to test and how
you're wishing you could go about it so that we could perhaps offer
alternatives?

Look at Lucene's current codebase.  I've added a couple of mock objects
recently to test various things - maybe that could give you some ideas?

	Erik