lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Hani Suleiman <h...@formicary.net>
Subject Re: [subscriptions] Re: Please make org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter non-final
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2003 05:14:23 GMT

On Sunday, October 5, 2003, at 02:28 PM, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> I'm curious what your take of the two mocks I've recently added to
> Lucene's codebase is - MockFilter and MockInputStream.  Both of these
> are for sending in to somewhere else and probing what happens to them.
>  How else could a Real Deal (tm) work in these scenarios?  And, I
> would argue that these two are the real deals since they merely are
> implementations (although certainly minimal and exploratory) of the
> real interfaces of Lucene.

I looked at both of these and I think that in this case neither of them
seems an 'abuse' of mocking. If anything, this is the exact usage of
what a mock should be, whiteboxing a blackbox scenario, where you can
interact with it, then poke about and verify the results of that
interaction.

I don't know if you're used dynamic mocks or the big fat library of
mocks in the mockobjects-java project, but THAT stuff to me is a pretty
blatant abuse. Full (useless)  mocks of all of j2ee, where you're
endlessly forced to define expectations and results for every call.
Yuck!

Hani