lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: File timestamps
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:00:58 GMT
Christoph Goller wrote:
> What about living the file timestamps as they are and using
> an additional file per index that contains nothing but a counter (type
> long)
> which gets incremented everytime the index is changed (SegmentReader and
> IndexWriter). I could implement this.

I think this is a good idea and would love to see an implementation.  My
guess is that you would do something like add a file called "version"
which contains nothing but this long.  Alternately, you could add the
version at the end of the "segments" file or something.  Then all of the
IndexReader lastModified methods could be changed to return the value of
the version rather than a date.  For back-compatibility, the version
could in fact be the millisecond time.

Is that the sort of thing you're thinking of?

Doug