lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: FileChannel implementation of Directory
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:27:49 GMT
Tate Avery wrote:
> Does anyone know why I might not be seing a performance increase for multiple concurrent
threads using my "FileChannelDirectory" ?

Are you using a RAID system?  If the data is already cached in RAM, then
the i/o calls may be so fast that concurrency doesn't make things
noticeably faster.  If the data is not already cached, then, with a
single disk, the OS will have to serialize the i/o requests to that
drive, so there's no opportunity for concurrency.  If however you have
an index that is too large to be cached in RAM, your query stream is
diverse enough so that it cannot be cached, and you have a RAID-based
file system which can support multiple concurrent i/o operations, then
you may see a speedup.  Does that make sense?

Doug