lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: Index locked for write
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:08:37 GMT
petite_abeille wrote:
> I have been using 1.3 RC1 without any problem. But... since updating to
> the cvs version, I'm getting a lot of apparently random IOException
> related to locking:
>
> java.io.IOException: Index locked for write:
> Lock@/tmp/lucene-5b228139f8fe55f7c74441a7d59f8f89-write.lock
>         at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(IndexWriter.java:173)
>         at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(IndexWriter.java:150)

I don't know if you've already resolved this problem, but if you
haven't, it may be related to the change in lock file implementations.
Since the lock file is now stored in a different place than the index,
it might be possible to remove an index directory, yet still have a lock
file for it.  Could that be what's happening here?

Also, you asked if it was possible to disable locking, and the answer is
yes.  Check out FSDirectory.java for details.

Doug