lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Tucker <m...@jivesoftware.com>
Subject Re: JDK compatibility (Collections API)
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2003 14:03:04 GMT
Tatu,

We've found that Lucene essentially requires JDK 1.3.1 or later because
of some VM bugs in 1.3.0. Perhaps Lucene would also work with 1.2.x VM's
(we haven't tested)? However, trying to preserve compatability with
1.1.x seems just silly. It would be premature to require JDK 1.4.x, but
virtually everyone uses 1.3 or 1.4. And, even though some small few
don't, I don't think that's a good enough reason to shackle Lucene to a
very old VM version. That's just my opinion though. :)

Regards,
Matt