lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Testcase failure on OSX
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 00:22:48 GMT

--- Hani Suleiman <hani@formicary.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 05:12 PM, Dmitry Serebrennikov
> wrote:
>
> > I also think it feels wrong and also cannot find any problematic
> > cases. Perhaps we can help lower the risk by doing a measurement at
>
> > the time FSDirectory is created and setting a value for the minimum
>
> > detectable time difference. Then on most systems the code will
> behave
> > as before, but on OSX with an old FS (and other things that might
> come
> > about) it will have this special behavior.

I have not followed this thread very closely, and since I'm not an OSX
user, I am not familiar with the particular FS type that has this
problem.  Is this an old FS?
Is hacking Lucene to work around this 'bug' in a particular old(?) FS
the right thing to do, or would it be better to draw the line here and
say: get a better FS?
I'm not sure, I don't know anything about that FS, etc., but I'm
wondering what others think.

Otis