lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Barry Kaplan" <ba...@livespark.com>
Subject RE: Caching filter wrapper (was Re: RE : DateFilter.Before/After)
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 01:02:42 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:

>I wonder if SearchBean, or something like it, should be added to the
>core?  This is something lots of folks ask for.  SearchBean's technique
>can use a fair amount of memory, but most folks are not short on RAM
>these days.  One could optimize SearchBean's sorting for integer-valued
>fields, but that could also be done after it is added to the core.
>
>What do folks think about adding SearchBean to the core?  Perhaps it
>could be merged with the existing Hits code, as a primary API for
>accessing search results?
>
>Doug

I think there could be some other optimization with the SearchBean if added
to the core in how it builds its cache. Currently it looks like the
SearchBean will create the entire document once per sorted field needed from
the document, this could be changed. Also, if you only need one field from
the doc it would be nice if you only read that one field from the index
instead of building the entire document and than selecting out the one field
needed.

-Barry