lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: sloppyFreq - why on Similarity?
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:26:36 GMT
On Monday, September 29, 2003, at 04:56  PM, Doug Cutting wrote:
> As a start, we could add parameters to the query parser to disable
> these features.  If we disable them by default then lots of people
> will howl: they're popular features.  Perhaps in a future major
> release they could be disabled by default, but, for now, I think it
> would at least be good to be able to disable them.

I haven't actually tried this yet, but I suspect one could subclass
QueryParser and override the factory methods for creating fuzzy and
wildcard queries to effectively disable them.  Although I suspect
adding a 'throws ParseException' clause should be added to those
factory getters to allow subclasses to reject.  Or maybe returning null
is sufficient?

I will likely try this out soon and document this along with
QueryParser somehow.  I'm hesitant to tinker with QueryParser and add
more bells and whistles - its got more than its fair share of them
already.

	Erik