lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject sloppyFreq - why on Similarity?
Date Sun, 21 Sep 2003 09:54:07 GMT
I'm just trying to come to "terms" (haha - sorry, bad pun) with all the
glory that is Lucene.  I'm deep into PhraseQuery at the moment (big
test case being committed soon) and have an API question.  Why is this
method:

   public abstract float sloppyFreq(int distance);

on Similarity?

The only place it is called is in SloppyPhraseScorer.  After thinking
about this for a bit, it sort of seems out of place and not really
something the main scoring formula needs to concern itself with.  I'm
guessing the main reason its here is to allow custom Similarity
implementations to control phrase queries scoring.  Is that correct?

Sorry if I fire off dumb questions from time to time - I'm just
thinking out loud and working as quickly as I can to understand all
that is going on under this gem.

	Erik