lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Serebrennikov <dmit...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: per-field Analyzer (was Re: some requests)
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2003 20:02:05 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> Cool... I just worked up a simple test case and committed it.  I added
> javadoc comments.  My personal opinion is that pointing folks to
> Lucene's own test cases is the best way to show examples, and also to
> promote test driven development a bit more - so I didn't put an
> example inline in the javadocs.  But, it currently requires folks get
> the source code distribution to see the test cases (or of course from
> CVS), which is asking a bit more from users.

I don't know, the test-driven development is really good thing, but I
find that test cases often need to be more involved than an example.
Often test cases are written to illustrate a bug, and this usually
involves doing something that is probably not a typical thing to do for
end users. Plus pleople would need to know about JUnit's assert(...)
calls to make sense out of them. A good set of examples is still a good
thing, even in the presense of test cases.

Dmitry.