lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: file handle changes
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:03:05 GMT
Dmitry Serebrennikov wrote:
> Doug, I've really considered keeping everything at the Directory level,
> as you suggested. This would have been preferred, I agree, but I really
> couldn't find a way to reconsile this approach with the other two goals
> I had: (a) keep specific file extension knowledge at the lucene.index.*
> level where it is now, and (b) avoid having to support writes to the
> compound file.

Sorry I'm a little behind on my Lucene email.

I just posted an alternate design before I saw this message.  But now I
see that your changes layer nicely on the existing Directory API, so I
don't really have a problem with them.  Although perhaps the proposal in
my previous message still has merit... What do you think?

Does CompoundFileReader need to be public?

Doug