lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Serebrennikov <dmit...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: file handle changes
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:26:34 GMT
Bruce, PA, and possibly others

Thanks for giving the file handle patch a try. I'm very glad that it's
working for you. I wander if either one of you has any scripts / data to
monitor performance of your Lucene instance. If so, I would be very
curious to know if you have seen any performance impact of this patch.
Even without scripts, have you noticed anything just informally?

 From what I know, the patch in itself should have very little effect on
performance. In fact, searching could be slightly slower or slightly
faster, depending on the OS you are running on, the size of your index,
the size of your RAM, and how that OS implements file caching. I'd like
to know what kinds of things people are seeing in the real world with
it. Certainly, if there is a slowdown, I'd like to know! This is mostly
related to searching, but could apply to indexing as well. But for
indexing, there is an exciting news: I believe that with this patch, the
merge factor can be turned up quite a bit higher without running our of
file handles. This probably means that the indexing rate can go up by a
factor of two or more!

Thanks.very much
Dmitry.