lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Ritchie <br...@jivesoftware.com>
Subject Re: file handle changes
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:56:45 GMT
Dmitry Serebrennikov wrote:

> I've implemented the file handle reduction changes, roughly as proposed
> before. Here are the patches for your enjoyment! :)

> SUMMARY:
> The goal of this patch is to drastically reduce the number of file
> handles required by Lucene. This is achieved by reducing the number of
> files required by a single index segment from N to 1, where N depends on
> the number of indexed fields in the segment. Typically, one should see a
> drop in the number of file handles by an order of magnitude! It could
> even be greater for indexes that contain large numbers of indexed fields.
>
> The best part is that to take advantage of this feature, one simply
> needs to call setUseCompoundFiles(true) on an IndexWriter before putting
> documents into it. Everything else is automatic!

This is a most welcome addition, many thanks! Quite a few of our customers have run into file

descriptor issues that this patch would solve.

I've patched my local test server with this patch and so far it's working perfectly. I'll
be testing
it over the next week to see if I can uncover any issues.

Regards,

Bruce Ritchie