lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Serebrennikov <dmit...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: idea for reducing file handle use
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2003 23:27:49 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:

> Dmitry,
>
> It would be cleaner if this could be done entirely as a Directory
> implementation.  I know some folks who've implemented a
> filesystem-within-a-file solution for this problem that they're very
> happy with.  It is a Directory, and requires no changes to Lucene.
> I'll ask them if they're willing to contribute it, so that others can
> use it.
>
> Doug

Ok, I am working on a version that would limit the changes to the
Directory class, but this directory would have to make certain
assumptions about the names of the files (whereas right now it doesn't
care). It would have to differentiate the segments file, the deleted
documents file(s?), and the other segment files. It would also have to
assume that the part before the last "." in a file name is the segment
name. Does this sound better than the other idea?

Dmitry.