lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Serebrennikov <>
Subject Re: idea for reducing file handle use
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2003 22:20:35 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:

> Dmitry,
> It would be cleaner if this could be done entirely as a Directory
> implementation.  I know some folks who've implemented a
> filesystem-within-a-file solution for this problem that they're very
> happy with.  It is a Directory, and requires no changes to Lucene.
> I'll ask them if they're willing to contribute it, so that others can
> use it.

That would be great! I thought about doing this at the directory level,
but I wasn't sure how to handle re-writing of multi-file segments into
single-file segments once the IndexWriter is closed. I'd like to avoid
dealing with file fragmentation, so I like having multiple files during
IndexWriter operation. But if there is a ready-made solution that does
deal with fragmentation, I guess that would work just fine.

View raw message