lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Goller <gol...@detego-software.de>
Subject Re: PATCH: IndexWriter
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2003 10:49:17 GMT

Erik Hatcher wrote:
> I'd have to dig deeper to really understand this issue fully, but my
> first impression is that it would be wrong to write a file from an
> IndexReader - I'm not sure you could assume write access to an index.
> Although if you didn't have write access then you shouldn't be deleting
> documents either.  Are there any issues here related to whether you have
> write privilege to the index?
>

> On Friday, September 12, 2003, at 04:33  AM, Christoph Goller wrote:

Having write privilege or not is not the question. The changes in IndexReader
necessary for option (B) only have effect if the reader has already deleted
documents and thus already has the write.lock on the index. Instead of only
writing segment.del the reader would also write/change segmentInfos, I would
probably do it in SegmentsReader.doClose().

Christoph

* Dr. Christoph Goller       Tel.:   +49 89 203 45734           *
* Detego Software GmbH       Mobile: +49 179 1128469            *
* Keuslinstr. 13             Fax.:   +49 721 151516176          *
* 80798 M√ľnchen, Germany     Email:  goller@detego-software.de  *