lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Ritchie <br...@jivesoftware.com>
Subject Re: unexpected behavior with reader.terms(term) not folowing contract
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2003 03:29:26 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:
>>  From the above debug logging you can see that enum.next() has
>> returned a TermEnum with a text of '10'. While this is logically
>> greater than or equal to the preceeding text according to
>> String.compareTo(), I'm uncertain as to where the '10' text is coming
>> from. As an example, document #86 returns in another search the
>> following:
>

> Could this be the text from a term in a different field?  From a quick
> glance, it doesn't look like you're checking that your enumeration stays
> within the field.

TermEnum enum = reader.terms(new Term(field, start));

It is indeed possible that the '10' value could be text from another field.

I must say that as a user of the API I'm (obviously) surprised if the above API call returned
any
results outside of the field specified. If that is indeed the case if is almost certainly
the cause
of the issue. I'll add some more logging to confirm.

Regards,

Bruce Ritchie