lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <li...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: URLDirectory
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:00:26 GMT
On Monday, August 18, 2003, at 02:51  AM, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> IMHO this should be part of core Lucene because it doesn`t fit to any
> sandbox projects. It`s small and it can help a lot! It is just a new
> implementation and it uses protected classes from the package so it
> cannot be moved!

As long as the JAR's are not sealed, you can have the same packages in
multiple JAR's.  So that is a non-issue, I believe.

Sure, it can help a lot if you need that feature, but most people do
not.

> The problem is that this class uses Java 1.2 objects and Lucene will
> not compile on Java 1.1...

And this is the most important reason why it should not be in the core.

> I think the test case will be a bit difficult, it`s over HTTP! How can
> I do this!

Won't your implementation work with a file:// URL?  We could put a .zip
index in the test code and construct the file:// URL to it from a test
case.  No??

> And what do you mean with file that packages this as a JAR file so
> folks can pull your code?

Have a build file that runs tests and can build a JAR.  That is all I
meant.

	Erik