lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Incze Lajos <in...@mail.matav.hu>
Subject Re: Directory implementation using NIO (moved from Lucene User List)
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:07:24 GMT
> Roughly, a 20% speedup
>
> > In my case and with my hardware configuration, the index
> > is too big to be loaded in memory with RAMDirectory.
> > On a smaller index or with less RAM available FSDirectory should be
> > faster?

On a very heavily buffering system (like e.g linux) I would not expect
more difference than this 20%. The main difference is not that either is
in memory the other is not in, but the access is throuh inode or page
mapped IO (booth from memory, mostly). That takes the difference.
(At least I think so.)

incze