lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Fuzzy queries are case sensitive; doesn't behave as documented
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2003 20:16:29 GMT
--- Cormac Twomey <cormac@siderean.com> wrote:
> I raised this issue a while back but it went unanswered so I'm trying
> again.
>
> Anyhow, FuzzyTermEnum.java appears to have two problems -
>
> 1) FuzzyTermEnum searches are case sensitive. Presumably this is not
> as
> designed? See bug #18014 for a candidate patch.

I think you are correct about this.  I followed up to that bug report
just now.

> 2) The "Query Syntax" page on the website states in the "Fuzzy
> Searches"
> section, that:
>
>      "Terms found by the fuzzy search will automatically get a boost
> factor of 0.2"

Hm, I am unable to find where this boost factor of 0.2 gets applied.
Have you been able to find it?  I was not the person who wrote the
query syntax page, so I am not sure where that statement comes from.

http://www.mail-archive.com/lucene-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg02819.html

> ) I documented a test case for this. Fuzzy matches appear for me
> ahead
> of some exact matches in some cases. As this is not as clear cut a
> bug
> as the case sensitivity issue, I didn't post this as a bug.
>

> any feedback you have would be much appreciated.

I think you should add the second issue to Bugzilla, if for no other
reason then so it does not get lost.

Thanks,
Otis