lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Dave Kor" <dave....@nexusedge.com>
Subject RE: Wildcard prefix
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2003 07:39:43 GMT

I wish this can be fixed too, but as the original developer of the wildcard
query and someone who has looked it it from as many angles as possible, I'ld
have to say that it is quite close to impossible to implement SCALEABLE
prefix queries with the current lucene engine design. Note that the keyword
here is scaleable. It is very possible and indeed very easy to write a
non-scaleable prefix query (I estimate about 20+ lines of code). The problem
is that this prefix query code's execution speed will slow down linearly in
proportion to the the number of unique words. In simple english, if the
search index is small and has less than.. say 50,000 unique terms this
prefix query would run reasonably fast. However when the search index
becomes large and has a few million unique terms, the same prefix query code
would run at a snail's pace.

That is why this bug is listed as WONTFIX... no one has come up with a
simple, workable, scaleable solution. sadly I am guessing that other than a
major retrofit to the design of lucene, this issue won't go away.

Dave Kor Kian Wei
Consultant
Product Engineering
NexusEdge Technologies Pte. Ltd.