lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: Lucene
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2003 20:03:08 GMT
>>I think you should stop insisting that the "powered by lucene" ad
>>appears on search result pages in this manner:
>>
>>The management behind large-scale sites typically will not accept
>>such advertisements on their pages. I don't agree with that but as a
>>result the technical staff are typically forced to violate this code
>>and using Lucene then becomes a guilty secret that the technical
>>staff do not wish to share with the Lucene community. This means
>>important sites do not appear on the "powered by lucene" list, which
>>can only hurt the adoption of Lucene.
>>If the requirement was changed to insist that sites were added to the
>>"powered by" list I suspect we would see some more credible
>>references appear. If these references included volumes of data and
>>daily search volumes this would be of much greater help in "selling"
>>Lucene.

Mark, I'm not sure exactly what you're proposing, that we just drop the
requirement altogether?  That would remove any incentive for folks to
ever add "Powered by Lucene", no?  Maybe that would be okay, since we'd
get more commercial sites listed in Lucene's "powered by" page, which
would be a net win for Lucene.  Is that what you're proposing?  I could
live with that.  We could make the logo not a requirement for listing in
our "powered by" page, but rather just a recommendation.  Or did you
have something else in mind?

Doug