lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: Document scoring - should I file a bug report?
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2003 16:46:36 GMT
Armbrust, Daniel C. wrote:
> I've noticed an oddity in scoring....
>
> If I do my search like this:
>
> searcher.search(query, filter, new HitCollector()
> {
> 	public void collect(int doc, float score)
> 	{
> 		tempHits.add(new LuceneHits(doc, score));
> 	}
> });
>

> I get different scores for the resulting documents than I do if I do my search like this:
>
> hits = searcher.search(query, filter);
>
> Both methods return the same number of hits.  I can live with them returning different
scores, I'm just curious as to why it happens.

> Furthermore, the first method returns several scores that are greater than 1.0.  Isn't
this supposed to be impossible?  The FAQ states that scores range from 0 to 1.

Scores from Hits are normalized so that the top score is never greater
than 1.0.  Scores passed to a HitCollector are raw.

It is very possible in Lucene to get scores that are greater than 1.0.
This bothers some folks, so Hits hides it, however it's difficult to
hide it from a HitCollector.

Doug