lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Karsten Konrad" <Karsten.Kon...@xtramind.com>
Subject AW: AW: Document scoring - should I file a bug report?
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2003 08:52:49 GMT

With a Hits, if the top score is greater than 1.0 then all scores are
divided by the top score.  This is just a cheap hack to mollify folks
who are alarmed when scores are greater than 1.0.

Thankls, that's exactly the cheap hack I had in mind to mollify
my users too :)

Regards,

Karsten

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Doug Cutting [mailto:cutting@lucene.com]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 5. Juni 2003 18:44
An: Lucene Developers List
Betreff: Re: AW: Document scoring - should I file a bug report?

Karsten Konrad wrote:
> how do you hide it, i.e., how is the normization done?

With a Hits, if the top score is greater than 1.0 then all scores are
divided by the top score.  This is just a cheap hack to mollify folks
who are alarmed when scores are greater than 1.0.

Lucene scores are not designed to have much meaning beyond the relative
ordering they provide.  For example, if you wish to meaningfully
eliminate hits beneath some particular score then you might need to use
a more elaborate normalization or choose a different threshold score for
each query, or something like that.

Doug