lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Giulio Cesare Solaroli <slrg...@ibn-italy.com>
Subject Re: Problem with long run IndexSearcher
Date Mon, 19 May 2003 14:58:41 GMT
Eric,

On Monday, May 19, 2003, at 16:52 Europe/Rome, Eric Isakson wrote:

> I was just reading Karsten's note, I'm not sure what impact my
> strategy will have if your application pages through hit results over
> a period of time...might not work at all (or perhaps inconsistently).
> The application I use recalculates search  results for each page as I
> page through hits rather than trying to hold onto the results from
> page to page. If the reader changed to an index that resulted in
> different hits it would seem inconsistent. You would only notice the
> inconsistency if you happened to be paging around while my reader was
> being refreshed :(

At the moment we re-run the query to page through a large result set.
This could cause some inconsistency in the results, but the problem is
really marginal in our environment.

> Hmph, guess I didn't really solve the problem with this new class, but
> it is a start on a solution and I'd be happy to keep working.

For us it could be a definite solution, even if I think that a more
elegant solution could give Lucene a final boost in becoming the
ultimate solution for searching!! ;-]

Giulio Cesare