lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Leslie Hughes <Leslie.Hug...@watercorporation.com.au>
Subject RE: Lucene & EJBs
Date Fri, 23 May 2003 02:04:55 GMT

An impl of a refereshing reader is discussed here but since it spawns
threads is no good for EJB land....

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=lucene-dev@jakarta.apach
e.org&msgNo=3394

Read vs write locks - From my understanding, only one writer can write but
many readers can read whilst the writing is taking place. COuld be wrong on
this of course :-)

Anyway, it's not the reading that's the problem, its the writing. A Searcher
EJB is pretty trival inc. a "refreshYourReaders()" to make changes to the
index visible. Managing the update notification and reindexing in the writer
is the problem.

So, how would a JCA wrapper help things? Aren't we're just talking about a
mechanism to access an external service. In which case, lucene wouldn't be
integrated "inside" the EJB application, it would have to be an external
"server" process?  I'd have thought if this were the case, then a simple
socket/RMI solution would be easier to implement?

Final question - can you expand on your "things work as-is" comment?

Les

(P.S. Sorry about the x-posting, thought lucene-dev might have some input on
this as well.)