lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Bryan LaPlante" <blapla...@netwebapps.com>
Subject Re: Indyo
Date Wed, 28 May 2003 05:02:39 GMT
Ok, having read that I think I have a clearer view of what I want to do and
I have no idea how I want to do it. It all boils down to declaring your own
field names when saving a document to an index and the part I don't know now
is how to allow a user to choose what that field actually represents i.e...
summary (+200 char from begin) that statement may scare the hell out of a
jsp tag user. I may have to sit and ponder more on what I am trying to
accomplish. One thing I know is that using verity, if you wanted to change
fields stored in the index you had to write a new Document type, hats off to
Lucene team for making that more accessible.

Currently the lucene-taglib (holler if you want a copy off list) doesn't
care what fields are coming out of the index and that is what I want going
in, the ability to describe a field to the index and then store it there on
the fly if necessary.

Bryan
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kelvin Tan" <kelvin-lists@relevanz.com>
To: "Lucene Developers List" <lucene-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 11:31 PM
Subject: Re: Indyo

On Tue, 27 May 2003 23:15:15 -0500, Bryan LaPlante said:
>I'm board now, I finished the lucene-taglib interface for searching
>and
>displaying the index and I want to build a document handling
>interface that
>a user can add and remove files of various extensions to and from
>the index.
>I built one once using the verity engine but the license that the
>development team had was very limited and I ended up with a hack to
>get it
>to work. If I ever encounter this problem again I could just whip
>out my
>handy dandy document shuttle system (catchy name a?) and hand off
>the code
>all taged up and ready for the non-java coders.

The original Indyo was rather all-encompassing, and handling the indexing
aspect as well. I guess in that aspect, it was invasive, hence never took
off.
I had a discussion with Erik Hatcher on this list (do a search for 'IFilter'
in
the mail archives). I think we did arrive at a reasonable conclusion on how
move forward. I just have yet to extract code for an implementation of that
discussion.

Can you check out the mail archives and see if its what you have in mind? If
so, I'll put some time to placing some implementation into sandbox.

How does Verity match up with Lucene? :-)

>I tried to get Larm running but it is pretty stubborn and I already
>built a
>crawler using pdfBox and the like, but What I want is more like I
>described
>above. I took a look at your companies web site, you have cool
>products.

Why thank you...