lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Bryan LaPlante" <blapla...@netwebapps.com>
Subject Re: Indyo
Date Wed, 28 May 2003 04:38:14 GMT
verity has a lot of cool features if you can afford the license. They have
provided api's for all the popular languages. One drawback with verity I
will say is that the api is a tad proprietary and hence a one solution fits
all is tough to write, on that note I should pay tribute to the Allaire
boy's who wrote the Cold Fusion tag interface using verity. There taglib
comes the closest to providing a reusable tool for that search engine that I
have seen.

I will check out the discussion and let you know.

Bryan
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kelvin Tan" <kelvin-lists@relevanz.com>
To: "Lucene Developers List" <lucene-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 11:31 PM
Subject: Re: Indyo

On Tue, 27 May 2003 23:15:15 -0500, Bryan LaPlante said:
>I'm board now, I finished the lucene-taglib interface for searching
>and
>displaying the index and I want to build a document handling
>interface that
>a user can add and remove files of various extensions to and from
>the index.
>I built one once using the verity engine but the license that the
>development team had was very limited and I ended up with a hack to
>get it
>to work. If I ever encounter this problem again I could just whip
>out my
>handy dandy document shuttle system (catchy name a?) and hand off
>the code
>all taged up and ready for the non-java coders.

The original Indyo was rather all-encompassing, and handling the indexing
aspect as well. I guess in that aspect, it was invasive, hence never took
off.
I had a discussion with Erik Hatcher on this list (do a search for 'IFilter'
in
the mail archives). I think we did arrive at a reasonable conclusion on how
move forward. I just have yet to extract code for an implementation of that
discussion.

Can you check out the mail archives and see if its what you have in mind? If
so, I'll put some time to placing some implementation into sandbox.

How does Verity match up with Lucene? :-)

>I tried to get Larm running but it is pretty stubborn and I already
>built a
>crawler using pdfBox and the like, but What I want is more like I
>described
>above. I took a look at your companies web site, you have cool
>products.

Why thank you...