lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Tatu Saloranta <t...@hypermall.net>
Subject Re: Highlight Search Result
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2003 14:15:01 GMT
On Thursday 03 April 2003 19:30, Lixin Meng wrote:
> Thanks for the information. I am glad that I asked. If you don't mind, it
> leads to more questions. :)
>
> - I read the patch is pretty new (3/2003). Does that mean I need to use the
> CVS version of the code?

I think that patches sent (there were at least 2, one from me, one from
korfut, hopefully they can be combined) should work with at least newer
1.2 releases. It might be good idea to use 1.3RC1 though.

> - Also, in your archived email, you mentioned a Highlighter class. Is it
> part of the code base now (sorry, I didn't download the CVS yet)?

No, it's in contributions section, I think, and is not directly usable as is.
Patches sent were more designed to allow for collecting Terms to highlight,
not do highlighting as is. But once groundwork is done, it should be possible
to add actual concrete highlighter(s); example Highlighter needed some
modifications to work (ie. it wasn't plug-and-play AFAIK).

I wish I had more time to work on highlighter, since I have an idea how to
implement that. For HTML there are some caveats regarding highlighting terms,
but with decent analyzer it should be ok, as long as it's ok to match all
Terms individually (ie. trying to follow full AND/OR structure with phrases
is more challenging).

> - Or, is there any sample or documentation about using this new feature?
> - Is there any planned date for the next release, which will make the
> change official?

I'm not aware of such plans. As with most open source projects, I think it
depends on contributions from developers?

-+ Tatu +-