lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric Isakson" <Eric.Isak...@sas.com>
Subject RE: [build.xml] Lucene Ant building and Eclipse.
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2003 19:52:33 GMT
You are setting your output folder to the same directory ant uses?

I've never had much luck with that since Eclipse when creating its output directory doesn't
do the same things the ant build.xml is doing in that directory.

I'd set your project output to something like EclipseBuild and leave the bin directory for
ant. If you do that then run ant from Eclipse to generate the bin directory you should be
able to add the generated sources from the bin to your Eclipse project. Eclipse wont let you
add them to the sources since that is where it puts things it generates from the sources.

Here is my .classpath file entries this is working for me without modification of the lucene
source tree:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<classpath>
    <classpathentry kind="src" path="src/java"/>
    <classpathentry kind="src" path="bin/src"/>
    <classpathentry kind="src" path="src/test"/>
    <classpathentry kind="src" path="bin/demo/src"/>
    <classpathentry kind="lib" path="lib/junit-3.8.1.jar"/>
    <classpathentry kind="con" path="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JRE_CONTAINER/org.eclipse.jdt.internal.debug.ui.launcher.StandardVMType/Sun
1.2 VM"/>
    <classpathentry kind="output" path="EclipseBuild"/>
</classpath>

Adding bin/src gets me the Java CC generated files for standard analyzer and query parser
Adding bin/demo/src gets me the demo code (I'm mostly interested in the HTMLParser)
Using the 1.2 VM in my classpath ensures that I catch those nasty 1.4 api features that sneak
into the source code sometimes.

Doing it this way means I have to modify the sources under src/java and src/demo, run ant
then refresh my project. But I'm doing this to get the Java CC generated files anyway so it
hasn't caused me any headaches since I don't have java cc integration in eclipse.

If we are going to change anything around to support this kind of development, I think it
would be a good idea to get a nice environment completely setup then propose a patch and a
set of instructions on "How to build Lucene Using Eclipse" that could be submitted with the
patch as part of the xdocs.

I'd be happy to collabrate with anyone on that in my free time.

Eric