lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Eric Isakson" <Eric.Isak...@sas.com>
Subject RE: [build.xml] Lucene Ant building and Eclipse.
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2003 17:57:14 GMT
Gregor,

Could you do right click on your lucene eclipse project and do Team->Create Patch and attach
a patch file to a post to this list?

I've been working around this for a while and hadn't gotten around to proposing anything to
"fix" it. You also have to make a few tweaks to get the unit tests to run under Eclipse and
I noticed that the Russian tests fail under Eclipse but don't fail if I run from the command
line (probably an encoding problem somewhere in my Eclipse setup).

Thanks,
Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregor Heinrich [mailto:heinrich@igd.fhg.de]
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 1:43 PM
To: lucene-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Cc: Heinrich, Gregor
Subject: [build.xml] Lucene Ant building and Eclipse.

Hi there,

I am building Lucene 1.3-rc2dev using Eclipse for partial builds and Ant scipts for (1) full
builds and (2) to create parsers. This turned out to be very convenient.

However, there have to be some minor changes made to the Lucene distribution structure and
build scripts in order seamlessly work with this "hybrid" approach. I wonder if this isn't
also interesting for future distributions of Lucene because I don't see any disadvantages
in the modified structure if someone uses Ant exclusively.

This posting is to suggest changes or find out I'm wrong from someone more experienced...

So here the facts:

The way the distributed build.xml is done and Eclipse (R2.1final) works causes two conflicts:

1 - Eclipse does not accept any source folder below ${project_root}/bin. (Source folders are
automatically synchronised with Output folders by Eclipse's project builder.)

2 - The Ant target "demo" copies the java javaCC sources completely to the ${proj_root}/bin/src
and builds the demo app from there. I didn't understand why it is necessary to create duplicate
files in the build structure, and Eclipse complains about exactly these duplications (any
other IDE would probably).

The solution I suggest is (with respect to above items):

1 - Keep the built sources (generated parsers) in a directory outside the build directory
tree, e.g., in ${project_root}/src/build/java and ${project_root}/src/build/demo (for the
two parsers generated).

2 - Adjust the build.xml to generate the parsers in place, i.e., from the original source
directories. The snippet for javacc in the "demo" target would then be:

    <mkdir dir="${build.demo.src}/org/apache/lucene/demo" />
    <mkdir dir="${build.demo.src}/org/apache/lucene/demo/html" />
    <javacc
      target="${demo.src}/org/apache/lucene/demo/html/HTMLParser.jj"
      javacchome="${javacc.zip.dir}"
      outputdirectory="${build.demo.src}/org/apache/lucene/demo/html"
    />

So, an already long debut on this list for me. But maybe it helps some of us.

Cheers,

Gregor

p.s. If anyone is interested in the complete setup, I am happy to share the modified build.xml
and default.properties or the complete Eclipse project.

p.p.s. Actually, there's also a javaCC plugin for Eclipse, but Ant building seems just more
convenient.

Dipl.-Ing. Gregor Heinrich
Fraunhofer Institut für Graphische Datenverarbeitung Fraunhoferstrasse 5 64283 Darmstadt
Germany
Tel: ++49.6151.155x209
Fax: ++49.6151.155x559
PGP: public key on request.