lucene-dev mailing list archives

From David Birtwell <augustea...@rcn.com>
Subject Re: snowball analyzers in lucene jar?
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2003 20:39:15 GMT
On Wednesday, March 19, 2003, at 03:26  PM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Shall we take a vote?  Should the snowball analyzers be included in
> the base lucene jar file, or should they continue to be packaged
> separately?
>
> Doug

It might seem cleaner from a design perspective to put the Snoball
analyzers in a second package, but I believe it would feel better to a
new Lucene user to have them folded into the base Lucene jar, or at
least distributed with the base Lucene download.  The analyzers will
feel more "sanctioned" that way and I believe users would have more
confidence using them.  Plus, it would be one less step to get started
with Lucene.

It's like Ant and optional.jar.  We all want to use JUnit tasks.  Why
should we all be forced to download and install optional.jar?  ;-)

My 2 cents,
DaveB