lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Wennström <>
Subject OutOfMemoryError with boolean queries
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:09:07 GMT

I'm experiencing OutOfMemoryErrors when searching using many logical ANDs
combined with prefix queries.
The reason is clearly too many returned hits waiting for combined evaluation.

I was wondering if there are any thoughts of changing the search approach to
something less memory consuming.
This is quite a big problem even with small sets of documents.

my 55000 document index runs out of memory when searching for  a* AND e*

Could you estimate the difficulty to change the behaviour to search for e* in
just the hits matching a* ?
I'm about to put a BitSet at the innermost hit collection to sort out
AND-clauses that hasn't been matched by previous AND-clauses.
Is there a better approach ?

Thanks for a great java project guys

Robert Wennström [developer, netadmin]
robert -at-