lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Ganyo <scott.ga...@etapestry.com>
Subject Re: snowball analyzers in lucene jar?
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2003 21:54:26 GMT
Good point.  I wasn't aware of the competing licenses.  Doesn't all code
in an ASF project have to be under the ASF license?

Scott

Eric Isakson wrote:

>I'm not a committer, so I don't know if my vote counts but could you answer a question
for me?

>Lucene is governed by The Apache Software License, Version 1.1
>http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-lucene/LICENSE.txt?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
>
>Snowball is governed by The BSD License
>http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.html
>
>Can you package the java code generated from snowball into the Lucene core given the legal
constraints of the licenses? I'm not a legal expert, but isn't the generated java code from
snowball governed by The BSD License? If it is, I'd vote that this code not be rolled into
the core lucene jars.

>My project was orginally going to use the snowball stemmers, we dropped their use for
other reasons (to make a long story short, we decided not to do stemming). The ASL was already
approved by my legal department so I could redistribute Lucene. I never got around to discussing
the snowball stemmers with them since I had dropped their use and removed them from my redistribution.