lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Sergio Guzman-Lara <guz...@cs.umass.edu>
Subject Collisions in BooleanScorer's BucketTable
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:48:49 GMT

  Dear Lucene Developers,

  I'd appreciate any help in understanding the following issue regarding
BooleanScorer:

   What happens when there is a collision in the hash table within
BucketTable (static class defined in
org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanScorer)?

      It seems that only the last document that gets into a bucket is
kept (overriding the information about the previous document in the
bucket). Since the size of the table is 1024, we could get collisions if
we ever process more than 1024 documents for the same query.
Am I correct? If so, is this considered such an unlikely event that is
not worth the effort to handle such collisions in a different way?

  Thank you,

  Sergio Guzman-Lara
  guzman@cs.umass.edu