lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: Question about .f1, .f2, etc. files in index directory
Date Mon, 24 Feb 2003 17:00:37 GMT
Yes.  The .f[0...] files are indeed the norm files.  There is one file
for each indexed field and each file contains a one-byte normalization
factor for each document.

This is a documentation bug.  There is no .nrm file with per-document
normalization files, rather multiple .f files, one per indexed field.

Doug

Eric Isakson wrote:
> Was reading http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/fileformats.html and noticed that files
.f1, f2, ... are not mentioned, but a file called .nrm is.

> Are the .f1, .f2, ... files that are created in my index directory by DocumentWriter.writeNorms(Document
doc, String segment) the .nrm file that is documented in the section called Normalization
Factors? That is what it looked like, just wanted a confirmation from the experts before I
commit that to my documentation for my internal Lucene implementation.