lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: New PhrasePrefixQuery
Date Mon, 24 Feb 2003 05:13:51 GMT
Hello Konrad,

What was the reason for this change?  The need to support wildcard
queries, and not just prefix questies inside phrase queries?
e.g.
  "How do you spell mi*pelling"
or
  "How do you spell mis?pelling"
and not just
  "How do you spell Missis*"

There are no other functionality changes, right?
Just trying to understand.
If that is so, then yes, a better class name would be
PhraseWildcardQuery, and the current PhrasePrefixQuery should be
deprecated.

I think this would be a good addition.

Also, why the ArrayList -> Vector change of the existing code?

Thanks,
Otis

--- Konrad Scherer <bcdhelp@uottawa.ca> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> First my thanks to Doug and Anders for their patience and help.
> Notes about this new version
> 1) No changes to Term. There are now inner classes to handle the Term
>
> versus WildcardTerm stuff.
> 2) If analyzer does not drop wildcard characters (like
> StandardTokenizer)
> then this class could be a drop in replacement for PhraseQuery.
> 3) This class does more than prefix terms, it handles both ? and * in
> any
> location thanks to WildcardTermEnum. Perhaps it should be called
> PhraseWildcardQuery?
> 4) In an attempt to get around using the prepare method I have
> combined
> sumOfSquaredWeights and normalize into the scorer method. I have to
> cache
> the searcher from sumOfSquaredWeights. The method works i.e. produces
> the
> correct results, but I do not know it the math is okay.
> Tell me what you think.
>
> Konrad

> ATTACHMENT part 2 application/octet-stream name=QueryParser.jj.diff;
x-mac-type=42494E41; x-mac-creator=5843454C

name=PhrasePrefixQuery.java