lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Tatu Saloranta <t...@hypermall.net>
Subject Re: FSDirectory patch for file renaming
Date Wed, 19 Feb 2003 03:54:30 GMT
This may be getting bit off-topic, but since I'm currently using renameTo() on
a project, I was wondering what are exact conditions under which people have
seen this problem (I got the impression it's much more common on certain
platforms etc?).
So is true that the problem mostly (only?) occurs  when following conditions
are met:

(a) A file with name renameTo() would rename another file existed earlier
(b) 'Old' file is deleted
(c) renameTo() tries to rename new file to 'old' file name, and native file
system for some reason still thinks that file exists?

or are there other cases where same problem occurs? And also, is this more
frequent on Windows platform? (I haven't seen this on Solaris or Linux, but I
haven't had to use renameTo() heavily).

And finally, has anyone seen same problem when renaming directories?
I'm basically implementing a "real time" (ie. almost instant access to current
data) background reindexing with Lucene, and need renameTo() only for
directory renaming, and was wondering if I should add similar workaround to my
code, even before hitting the problem (better safe than sorry).

To make search available without interruptions I'm copying existing index
directory to a work dir, do updates (for all changed docs remove from + add
to index), remove old index and rename working dir to index. During first
steps old index is still available, and during last steps I'm just
temporarily sync'ing search engine object to prevent new queries from using
that index (that's the main idea -- implementation is bit more complicated as
it's possible some searches have already started using that index).

-+ Tatu +-